Typical Questions about Refuse Collection Services in the Town of Amherst
What is the Town of Amherst’s curbside refuse collection service?
The Town employs a contractor to remove normal trash from all houses and small businesses on Mondays (starting on January 5, 2015). Residents and business operators place refuse containers provided by County Waste at the curb for collection at the curb by 7:00 AM, and trash is removed by the end of the working day.
Is recycling service offered?
County Waste provides curbside recycling service. That company can be reached at 528-5540.
Amherst County operates a recyclables drop-off collection site at the Ambriar Shopping Center. Contact Amherst County at 846-3324 for more information on that program.
What can I do if my trash was not picked up on Monday?
If your trash was not picked up, please call County Waste at 528-5540.
Is there a cost for this service?
The cost bill for the service will be included in your monthly Town of Amherst utility bill.
What are some do’s and don’ts for the Town’s curbside refuse collection service?
- DO bag and place all garbage and trash in the container provided by the contractor
- DO close the lid before setting at curbside
- DO place container at curb prior to 7:00 a.m.
- DO position the container with the handle facing your home
- DO place containers at least 5 ft. away from cars, fences, poles, or other structures
- DO remove your container from curbside after collection
- DO rinse and keep your container clean
- DO report stolen or broken containers immediately
- DON’T place material on top of or next to your container
- DON’T use container for bulky waste or large trash, i.e. furniture
- DON’T use container for other purposes, including child play
- DON’T allow or park a car in front of your container
- DON’T place hazardous, industrial, construction, human or animal feces, liquids or other illegal materials in container
- DON’T expect unbundled trash, piles of sticks or leaves or anything uncontained or unpackaged to be removed
Where is the Town’s trash disposed?
Municipal solid waste from the Town is delivered to the Amherst County Landfill. Contact Amherst County at 846-3324 for more information on refuse disposal.
What about dumpster service?
Dumpster service can be provided by haulers that are employed directly by the customer. The Town is not involved in this transaction.
Is bulk waste removal offered?
Bulk waste items such as furniture, appliances, and the like will be collected as a special pick-up. Bulk items must be placed at the curb for collection. Certain hazardous, heavy and/or construction debris will not be removed; this includes manure, topsoil, earth, stone, rock, brick, concrete, asphalt, heavy metal, sheet rock, plate or large broken glass, poisons, caustics, acids, hazardous waste, trees, stumps, explosives, or other dangerous materials, or rubbish from construction, remodelling, razing and repair operations on houses and commercial buildings.
Call County Waste at 528-5540 to schedule bulk waste pick up.